Woman Dies After Clothes Catch Fire In Kitchen on Mason Ave, Morton Grove

Morton Grove police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 11:20 PM Friday to a report of a burn victim at a home in the block of 8400 Mason Avenue Morton Grove, Il. Police and firefighter/paramedics received a report from a woman that all of her clothes caught fire while cooking.

The call was upgraded to a possible house fire after dispatchers weren't able to determine whether the fire was extinguished.

Engine 4's crew on arrival reported nothing showing from a single-family house by 11:23 a.m.

Engine 4's crew canceled everybody except the ambulance (A4).

Homeowner Alice Gutenkauf, age 87, was transported to Lutheran General Hospital and then transferred to Loyola University Medical Center Burn Unit, where she died at 8:38 p.m. Friday. She suffered first- to third-degree burns to 70 percent of her body.

Her death was ruled accidental by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office in Chicago.

Morton Grove Fire Department reported her clothing caught fire when she was heating water in her kitchen.




CHIEF(S): BC4 on scene 400 on scene

EMS: A5 (returned) A4

Read complete article on Arlingtoncardinal.com ...


burn victim, burn victim Morton Grove, Morton Grove Police Department, Morton Grove Fire Department